Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm Back

Not that anyone but me cares, but I am back writing my blog. It has been much longer then I planned before starting again and I miss it. I have found blogging to be therapeutic, I feel like my brain is always on, never allowing any rest. What I have found is that if I write down what I am thinking I can move on. For anyone interested, let me explain why the long break. I graduated in 2008 and since then I have been on the job market. I have been a lecturer at my current University for the past five years. It has been an excellent opportunity to experience an entirely new culture in South Texas, but being a lecturer is only about one step up from slave labor at my University. While I have been on the hunt for a tenure tract position, I decided to stop blogging. It is unfortunate, but true that many in academia would not hire a new professor with conservative views. The bleeding heart liberal community of scholars who claim to be so open to everyone else’s views did not mean conservative views. I felt it was best to not advertise my political views.

Now, however, everything has changed. This week I was hired as an assistant Professor at a liberal arts University in Oklahoma. My family and I are very excited about the move. It is a small town but I like small towns and we are only half an hour from the city which is perfect. What I am most excited about is how much they seem to love me. I had to give a sample lecture to a group of faculty and students while I visited the University on my interview. When I met with the VP of academic affairs afterwards he told me I gave one the best lectures he had ever seen. About an hour after I got home the next day I received a call offering me the position. I was surprised how fast it came, but I was told they were so impressed and it was a unanimous decision of the committee that they did not want to wait. I am not sure exactly when we are going to move, but I am excited about the next phase in my family’s life. Our journey has taken us from Virginia to Arkansas to Texas and now we will begin our next chapter in Oklahoma.

6 comments:

Disco Mom said...

James - FABULOUS. So happy for you - congratulations! I would love to sit in a lecture by you. Glad you held out for a place that adores you :) Best of luck on the move and all the adjustments!

The Finck Five said...

Kari, you are invited to attend any of my classes when ever you like. Next time you happen to be driving through OKC feel free to drop by.

My Entrepreneur's Journal said...

So glad you are back. I wish you the best on this new journey.

Unknown said...

Dr. Finck,
I'm so excited for you and your family. Great things come to those who deserve them and you sure do. It has been an honor to be your student here in South Texas. You are a great professor and your method of teaching is exceptional. I'm sure the folks in Oklahoma will like you as much as we did. Kook and I wish you and your family the best on your new journey. Thank You for the knowledge you have given me!

Your Student,
Aracely "Shelly" Rodriguez

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new job! The thought of "Professor Finck" brings the goofiest smile to my face. I'm proud of you. I know school was never really your thing and that it didn't come easily for you, but you've become quite the scholar! Best of luck to you and your family as you move to a new adventure!

Olivia Justine said...

wow! congrats james :) i'm so glad for you -- hard work does pay off, huh? and patience pays off too. it IS amazing to think of you as a professor...did someone say dr. finck??? that's just down right crazy to think of when i'm picturing that man-child sitting next to me in the robinson's van all those years ago. we all grow up though, don't we? here's to you for having done it so well. lots of love to you and your family...liver