Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Two Weeks of Political Fun

For someone who studies political history, this week has been like a trip to Disney Land with two weeks in a row of party conventions. I just wanted to comment on a few thoughts I have had so far.

1. Conventions are interesting, but incredibly pointless and very expensive. It would seem to me that the thousands and thousands of dollars spent could be used for a better purpose, especially when both candidates are claiming to want to cut spending and fix the nations problems. Use the money for the people and not just those who attend conventions. There was a time when conventions were necessary, that is how the candidates were chosen. No one even thought of Lincoln as a contender until the convention began and the Republicans could not come to a consensus on anyone. They realized on the ballots that Lincoln’s name was listed as most peoples second choice and after three votes his name was suggested. Today the candidates are chosen months before they arrive, with modern communication and technology the convention is obsolete. It is just a way for people to party

2. I find both VP choices as counter productive for the candidate’s major message. Obama is calling for change, to vote for someone outside of the Beltway boys. He claims our foreign policy is broken and attacked Clinton for her voting record on foreign affairs. Yet he then chose Biden as his VP. Biden has been in the Senate for 20 years and is completely part of the established Beltway insiders, and better yet his voting record mirrors that of Clinton whom Obama criticized. Biden is many things, but he is not change. Biden was brought in for his expertise on foreign policy, which Obama disagrees with, but at the same time he has shown in recent years, not to be much of an expert with the way he has voted.

McCain is no better. His major issue is experience, yet he chose Palin, a not yet completed one term Gov from the small state (population) of Alaska. How do you claim experience and yet bring in someone with very little. I do understand that she is the VP and so can learn. The problems is the way the Democrats are spinning this and how my students see it is, McCain is not far from death and she could be the next president. Like Biden, Palin was brought on the ticket for other reasons (will discuss later), but is a gamble for McCain. I am very interested in her speech tonight.

I doubt the media will report it this way, but at least the McCain ticket makes more sense. Both tickets have one with experience and one without. It just makes more sense to me for the teacher to lead and the pupil to learn and not other way around.

3. I thought Obama’s speech was his best yet. No one has ever doubted his charisma and speaking ability, but in this speech he actually put forth some of his ideas and what is agenda will be. As I polled my students, at least those that watched, most liked his speech especially now that he stood for something. However where he stood lacking, and this also from students, was how he plans to implement his plans while at the same time lower taxes.

4. My student’s reaction to Obama’s speech is my next point. I have over 400 students and when we talked about the speech only about 30 had watched it. I think this is possibly bad news for the Obama camp. Last Spring there was Obama fever on campus, an excitement I have not ever seen before, and probably nothing like it since Bobby Kennedy in 68. Yet it is gone now, not replaced with a dislike of Obama, but disinterest. Obama counts on the youth vote, but instead of his excitement building after his speech it has remained stagnant.

5. One reason for Obama’s popularity stagnation was the brilliant move by McCain to announce Palin the day after Obama’s speech. All the talk the next day was everyone’s shock of Palin and not anything about Obama. Now even with the issue of Palin’s daughter, she has captured all the media attention, I imagine tonight’s speech will be well watched.

6. What a coup for the Republicans to have Liberman talk last night. It was an interesting speech, at times poking at the Republicans. The most powerful part was his end when he addressed Democrats saying in this election you should not vote for party but for America. I did not like how he used Jefferson to prove his point. I am tired of people always using Jefferson. He was a great man yes, but never has there been a greater example of saying one thing and doing another. I wrote a whole blog about how it is hard to live up to principles with the difficulty of governing; I used Jefferson as the example.

7. The best speech so far from either party was Fred Thompson. Where was this when he was running for president (I do not believe he wanted to win, just wanted to say that he once ran). I am not a huge McCain supporter, we disagree on several issues, but after Thompson’s speech last night no one can attack his character. I have heard McCain’s story before, but Thompson tells it so well, I actually found my self choked up at the end when he was talking about how McCain can not raise his arms about his shoulders and solute the flag. The torture he received for 5 years makes that impossible, and so we should solute him. He may have money now, but he knows what it means to struggle. In a weird way he reminds me of FDR; a wealthy may who struggled physically for so long that he understood the meaning of hardship and more importantly how to overcome. FDR once said after trying for two years just to wiggle your toes, everything else seemed easier. McCain has a similar background with struggles and better yet endurance and victory. Disagree with the man all you want, but do not question his integrity or character or his ability to challenge the system and make change. Obama talks a good game, McCain has lived it. Even though we disagree, I respect him for standing by decisions that have made him unpopular even within his own party.

I hope everyone watches the speechs, watch on C-Span and not the news channels, they only show highlights that they chose and talk through most of it. Palin up tonight.

2 comments:

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

I am guilty in the fact that I never watched any of the conventions or listened to much of what any of them had to say until the last 10 years or so. I get so fed up with the same old rhetoric and partisanship. I realize too that each has an experienced person on the ticket and a novice so to speak. However, when we're voting for president---I'm not voting for a VP(though I am liking Palin) but for experience in a commander. Palin seems like a fast learner with hands-on leadership skills & Biden is very comfortable in the Washington setting (too comfortable). So, I'm voting country not party this time!

Kelsey Carreon said...

It is a very likely scenario that one of these VPs could become a President, McCain has age issues and Obama has assassination issues (sad but true). I think this is the first time in a long time for presidential elections that I have been so conflicted. Time to write the pro's and con's list for each candidate. Keep writing so I can add things to my list that I don't pick up.