Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Campaign Update


Once again bad voting last night as McCain won all three primaries and his margin of victory is getting stronger, even among conservatives. The exit poll numbers that were the strongest for McCain was 70% to 30% for McCain as the best candidate to beat the Democrats. I am all for beating the Democrats, but not if it means selling out the party. As I have said McCain is the winner, there is no way to stop that now. What I found more interesting this week was that Romney has asked all his delegates to support McCain and not Huckabee. In an earlier blog I mentioned that I felt Huckabee was pushing for the VP. Now I am not so sure. McCain can not be happy about having to continue to spend money in campaign in state when he has locked up the nomination. I am sure he would rather spend his money (something he is week on) getting ready to beat the Democrats. The Romney support, there is a chance that he might be looking for the VP seat, something a few weeks ago I never would have dreamed of. Now it makes sense. Romney has everything McCain needs. He is a conservative, he knows how to manage the economy (McCain is weak there), and most of all he can make money. Huckabee seems to running for 2012 now, more than 2008. If the Democrats win this year, he is setting himself up as the conservative candidate. He began this race as a no one, but in four years, he could be a force, that is if McCain loses which as you know I do not believe will be the case.
The Democrats are moving along as expected. Obama won his 10th state in a row last night. Hilary is dying. She still has a chance with the March 4th elections. TX, PA, and OH have enough delegates for her to take the lead, but momentum is against her. One thing that might hurt Obama is if he lets his wife speak again. Her comment about not being proud about America could hurt them, although I do not think it will stop most Obama supporters, but it will hurt him more in Nov if he wins. The way it seems to be going, it looks like Obama can pull this out. Hilary will not go down without a fight. She is in town tonight fighting hard for Texas. And she will not loose without fighting for the delegates from FL and MI to be seated, even though she agreed ahead of time that they should not count. She will also try to get super delegates to vote for her, but I can not see the party allowing that to happen.
It would be interesting to see Romney as VP. I might do a talk on Mormons in politics in history in an upcoming event, but the powers that be only wanted it if Romney was still in the race. It would be an interesting conversation.

2 comments:

The Finck Five said...

Interesting....

Pound Fi'ty said...

When Romney dropped out I made a comment that he will run for VP, everyone laughed at me. It is good to know that I am not the only one that thinks that he might...Oh yeah...this is Tamara and I am too lazy to switch logins