Friday, February 15, 2008

University Shootings


I just wanted to say a few words about the shooting at Northern Illinois yesterday. Tragedy like this hits everyone hard, harder for students and alumni of the school, but also difficult for students and alumni of Virginia Tech. Last year as Melissa and I watched the reports of what happened at Blacksburg, our sprits hurt. We made some inquiries about friends and ward members. I was in the Bishopric of the student ward and so new the LDS students well. We were very relieved to see our State President being interviewed. He taught in the building that was hardest hit. We loved our time in Blacksburg, and have often said that was our favorite place we have lived. Everything seemed to just work while we were there, school was great, Melissa had a great job, and we were so happy. To hear lone gunman could shatter the peace we felt when we lived there, just hurt. I had never felt so safe. We only had one house key, so we never locked our door, and never felt nervous about it. I hated that people associated Tech with tragedy. They kept showing the hospital, and the mourners gathered there. To me that hospital is where Big Jake was born, something that only brings found memories. I loved how the Hokie nation came out of the incident. We are stronger than ever, and I think the nation saw something special about Blacksburg. I hope the Northern Illinois nation can overcome the same way. We stopped in Blacksburg over Christmas break, partly to buy Hokie gear, but also I wanted to pay my respects. They have built a memorial to the victims. I did not feel right taking pictures at the memorial, but I did take one of Jake from a distance. I want this to be positive, I know Illinois is suffering right now and will for a time, but they can endure, and that is that the Hokies showed everyone, you can endure. However I would also like to address the issue of the media. There is no one to blame from such acts of violence except the shooter, however, I remember last year telling Melissa that I wish the media would back off the coverage of the Tech shooting, especially talking about the killer. They did not make him a hero, but they did make his famous, or infamous. For people with the right mental make up, infamous is all they need to copy such acts. Why not go out with a bang like the guy at Tech. I know the media needs to cover the news, I just wish they could make some moral decisions of how far they will go with such stories. The anniversary of the shooting is this semester, and with the shooting at Northern Illinois, I am sure they will blow up this story, and inspire who knows to try to top it.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

It was hard hearing the news of another shooting. I know that Tech affected you more then me but it was a very depressing time. Thank you for your thoughts.