Thursday, February 21, 2008

Movies



It was sad last night as I was adding some good movies to my list and I could not come up with any. I looked at all the movies we have gotten from net flix over the past year or so and realized we have been watching junk. What has happened to Hollywood, why are today’s movie makers so much worse then just a few years ago. I am sure I am not the only one who did not see or even hear of most the movies nominated for awards. I must admit first that I do not watch R movies, and that limits me to what I can watch, but I see them when they are on TV and I still have not seen anything that good. What is most interesting is that of the movies on my list only one is a recent Hollywood movie. I have gotten so desperate that I am listing old movies that have recently been airing on TV. The majority made for TV movies or mostly HBO movies. HBO and other cable channels recently have surpassed what Hollywood is doing. If you have not watched Band of Brother, you are doing yourself a disservice, it is one of the best movies I have seen in years. Melissa and I rented them over an entire weekend, we could not stop watching. The movie I am most excited about right now is HBO’s John Adams. If you are like us, we do not get HBO, but you can rent their movies later. Another series of movies that I love are the Horatio Hornblower movies, made by A&E. If you liked Master and Commander, you will love these movies. There are about 8 in the series and they are all good. They star Ioan Gruffudd (more famous for his lead in Fantastic Four and King Arthur, another one on my list). As I said there are a couple on my list that are older movies but I happened to catch them over the past few weeks, and they are still great movies, so if you have not seen them, you should. King Arthur, a bit different from the normal legend (Excalibur and Camelot being the two most classic Arthur movies, not to mention Search for the Holy Grail), but it is an excellent movie. I also watch Amistad the other day, and remembered how good of a film it was, very powerful. The only recent Hollywood movie was We Are Marshal, not a great film, but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it. So if anyone is reading this blog, what have I forgot or have not seen that I should. Know that I do not see movies on the big screen (three kids and all) and my net flix list has about 20 movies, so if it is real recent I may not have seen it yet. Let me know what you think. And yes Tami I watch American History X, but got something different than you did. The movie was supposed to show that hate can destroys your life, but the fact that the brother got killed, not for being his brother, but for helping a white kid from being beaten up, to me said that his hate was justified, and in order to protect his own he needed to fight back. I doubt that was the message they meant to say, but that is what I got. Let me hear your opinions on movies, and of course on politics.

3 comments:

The Finck Five said...

I wish I had stayed awake for some of these movies.

Tamara said...

You should watch Crash, it is one of my favorites, but as you pointed out, we don't always have the same opinions on movies.

Tamara said...

Have you seen Big Fish? I really liked that movie as well.