Thursday, March 20, 2008

What Should President Bush Do?


I heard an interesting comment on the radio yesterday. The caller was upset with President Bush, complaining that he did not listen to the American people, and that as President he needs to do what the people want. I could not disagree more. I know things have changed since the founders created the Constitution, but if you understand the founding of our nation you will see that under republicanism, elected officials are not required to listen to the people. Our government was modeled after the British system of government of our betters. In other words, when we elect an official from our town or district we are not electing an ambassador to speak our will to the Congress. What we are doing is electing someone whose views are the closest to ours and they vote their own conscience. If we are unhappy with the way they vote, then we should vote in someone else when their term comes to an end. Yes it is important to let your congressman know what you think, but they should not make decisions base on tallies of their constituents. The idea was that our betters should know whats better for us than we do. This is known as virtual representation, because our congressmen do not represent us specifically, they represent all Americans.

So when 70% of our nation disagrees with the war in Iraq, according to our founders, the President is not required to pull out. The President needs to do what he thinks is best for us, that’s what we elected him to do. I have never been a blind supporter of the President, but one area where I have great respect for him is that he has not governed based on polls. President Bush is one of the most unpopular presidents in history. He could do things to help his approval ratings, mainly pulling out of Iraq. Yet he has not let public opinion sway his judgments. I am not saying the war is right or wrong, what I am saying is that he thinks it is right, and has followed through with what he believes, and I respect that. It is politicians that cave when things turn bad that I do not respect. This nation was founded to protect the majority from the minority, but was also meant to protect the minority from the majority. Just because the vocal majority wants something, does not make it correct. There was a time in this country when the vocal majority thought segregation was right, that did not make it right.

I know everyone is tired of using 9/11 to justify everything, but I know the President has not forgotten, it happened on his watch. None of us can know how he felt, how it affected him, it is the single most important event that happened in his presidency or even in the 2000s. On Sept 20, 2001 President Bush gave a speech. It is the last thing I read to my class every semester, and every semester I have a hard time finishing it without emotion. I just want to quote a few lines

“Great harm has been done to us. We have suffered great loss. And in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment. Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom -- the great achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on us. Our nation -- this generation -- will lift a dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail.”

“It is my hope that in the months and years ahead, life will return almost to normal. We'll go back to our lives and routines, and that is good. Even grief recedes with time and grace. But our resolve must not pass. Each of us will remember what happened that day, and to whom it happened. We'll remember the moment the news came -- where we were and what we were doing. Some will remember an image of a fire, or a story of rescue. Some will carry memories of a face and a voice gone forever.”

“And I will carry this: It is the police shield of a man named George Howard, who died at the World Trade Center trying to save others. It was given to me by his mom, Arlene, as a proud memorial to her son. This is my reminder of lives that ended, and a task that does not end.”

The President ended with this, “I will not forget this wound to our country or those who inflicted it. I will not yield; I will not rest; I will not relent in waging this struggle for freedom and security for the American people.”

Listen to the political campaigns, the radio talk shows, and the media, He is the only one that has not forgotten. He kept his promise no matter how much it has hurt him, and I believe history will judge him accordingly.

2 comments:

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

I had forgotten that speech. How moving and eloquent. Sometimes w/ human nature, we tend to forget those things that are not in our self-interest. I too respect the fact that he has not forgotten.

The beauty of our society is that we do elect officials we feel reflect most of our opinions/values. It is a difficult job to represent others, hear their opinions and still do what is right.

Tamara said...

Blame it on the hormones that I am taking, but all of this disrespect for our country, including the president is making me so emotional. I don't want to forget, I don't want to hate, and I don't want to hurt anymore.