Friday, June 13, 2008

A FEW QUICK THOUGHTs FROM THE WEEK

1. I believe everything Donaghy said about the NBA, not because I think Donaghy is trustworthy, but because he is only supporting what I have been seeing with my own eyes for years.

2. The fact Lisa had a chance at being Top Chef hurts the credibility of the show.

3. Why did SYTYCD have to cut out all the tappers from the top 20?

4. I do not think Obama’s new slogan “McCain is running for Bush’s third term” will hold water. It does not take a genius to see McCain and Bush are very different, only one is a conservative. Maybe he should give us a few clues about what he is going to do, before telling us who others are.

5. Horse racing will never regain its glory until horses race for more than one year. I enjoyed watching Big Brown, I would like to see him try again next year. There never would have been a movie about Seabiscuit if he only raced 4 times.

6. Watched Dan in Real Life. I liked it, but was waiting for someone to chastise the daughters for their selfness. Dan had sacrificed his own happiness for theirs and then finally found someone, and then he ended up apologizing to them. They were too caught up in their own petty problems to see their father hurting. And no, 15 years olds are not in love, and her immaturity at handling the situation shows she was not old enough to understand or comprehend love. Infatuations yes, love no.

7. I like how Burress from the NY Giants thinks. I have one more year on my contract here at the University of Texas, but I think my teaching last semester was exceptionally good, I think I will refuse to teach in the fall unless they give me more money. What would athletes do if they had to live in the real world?

8. It looks as if the reign of Roger Federer is over, he did not just lose but was beat down. Can he bounce back at Wimbledon?

9. Good luck to the Hickmans, they are moving this week and we all know how much stress that can be. See you sometime soon in VA.

10. Jake read 10 books this week by himself, I am very pleased with his progress. Together recently we have read Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Call of the Wild, I love having a son.

5 comments:

jason said...

No kidding what does Obama stand for... All I hear out of him is something about change which is what every candidate since I can remember has claimed. Unfortunately, everything I can find about Obama indicates it would be a change for the extreme worse.

Tamara said...

Totally agree with 2,3, and 6. I did not like Lisa at all, I thought that the tappers were amazing ( I was not happy with the top 20 until I watch last week, I am so excited) and we did not like Dan in Real Life because of the kids, very selfish.

Matthew said...

Speaking of reading, since I know you read a lot, have you read any Cormac McCarthy? I have gotten into him this last year and somehow think you would really like him.

The Finck Five said...

I am unfamilar with McCarthy, what kind of stuff does he write.

Matthew said...

He writes fiction mostly set in the west, much of it very violent. No Country for Old Men which won all the awards this year is based on a McCarthy book. The place to start though is Blood Meridian which is more or less classic literature at this point. He recently wrote The Road which is a must read for anyone who has a son. Check it out.