Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Version of AFI's Top Animated Movies


If you have read my blog for a while you know I enjoy lists, making them and watching shows about them, it give me something to argue about. Recently AFI came out with their top 10 movies in their top genres. I found their list interesting, but thought I would make my own. Many of the same movies appear on both lists, but I have changed orders and have added and dropped many as well. The first list they showed was Animation. My first three would not make the list if they were my favorite, but since I enjoy viewing and writing from a historical perspective, I will include them:

Animation
AFI list
10. Finding Nemo 9. Cinderella
8. Shrek 7. Beauty and the Beast
6. Toy Story 5. Fantasia
4. The Lion King 3. Bambi
2. Pinocchio 1. Snow White

For my own list, the biggest difference is the higher amount of modern cartoons. I love old movies and respect the classic Disney cartoons, but not only the technology has changed in recent years, but I also believe the story lines have improved as well, not to mention the music (which to me is important in a good cartoon).

10. The Simpson’s Movie, 2007: This was not a great movie, but since I have loved the Simpson’s for so long and they have given us so many pop icons and phrases there can not be a discussion about animation without the Simpson’s. So the Simpson’s Movie represents all that the series has given us in the past 20 years. Doh!
9. Steamboat Willie, 1928: I was shocked this did not make AFI’s cut. Again not the greatest cartoon, but it was Walt Disney’s first, and that alone should make the cut. Without Steam Boat Willie we would not have Mickey Mouse and all the iconic people, places, and memories that Mickey has given us, not to mention the rest of the movies on this list if we first did not have Willie .
8. Snow White, 1937: Outside of the dwarfs, there is not much about this movie I like, yet it is the first full length animated movie, and so it makes the list. I know this is a classic, but I do not care for the story, but most of all I can not stand Snow White’s voice, it makes my skin crawl when I hear her sing, but still deserves the number eight position.
7. Toy Story, 1995: Historically this is another first, which is the major reason for it making the list. Toy Story was the first full length computerized animated movie. But at the same time Toy Story told a good story, what do our toys do when we leave the room? For a while this was our kid’s favorite and so we watched it many times. One day while my wife was shopping, my daughter lost one of the little people she like to carry around. I think my wife actually felt sad, she said after watching Toy Story she felt bad for the lost toy.
6. The Little Mermaid, 1989: Not only is this a great story but I consider this a first, which again for me speaking historically is important. I see the Little Mermaid as the first of the modern cartoons. I look at all cartoons from Steam Boat Willie to Kung Fu Panda as either before or after the Little Mermaid. It was the first great modern cartoon epic. This movie also has a classic soundtrack with some of Disney’s most beloved songs including Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl (I already said songs are what make many of the movies in my opinion).
Look for the top five next week.

5 comments:

Kelsey Carreon said...

Have you seen Spirited Away or My Neighbor Tutoro... very good animation movies and very creative. They are two of my kids favorites... also the animated version of Transformers back in the 80's... a must see.

The Finck Five said...

I have not seen either of those, I will have to look for them. I am sure I must have seen the transformersd back in the day, being a big fan that I was, but not good enough to make the list.

jason said...

Now I know why you don't email me back you are too busy writing blogs and making lists :)

Tamara said...

I am surprised that you like the Little Mermaid so much but I do enjoy the songs as well, I still find myself singing them around. It is here on Broadway but I have not seen it yet.

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Love the Little Mermaid. Everyone of my kids have been huge fans! The Broadway play also a very good one and a must see for the costumes & choreography! The others on your list I did like as well, but not as good as The Mermaid. I can't wait to see your Top 5!