Friday, June 20, 2008

A FEW QUICK THOUGHTS FROM THE WEEK

1. The best part of the summer TV lineup is Last Comic Standing, I cannot stop laughing.

2. Whoopie Goldberg should be banned from hosting. The bits with her in different plays should have been funny, yet with her I never laughed. And her line about Thurgood Marshall being the only black Supreme Court Judge, I assume was a cut towards Clarence Thomas not being black enough. I did not know all blacks were required to think alike

3. I find myself surprised that I am saying this, but I was glad In The Heights won, I thought it was the most exciting performance of the night. But now that it won a Tony, I will not be able to afford it even if I could find a ticket.

4.. I loved the Celtics comeback in game 4. What made it sweeter was that they did it against Kobe. I am sure he has plenty of excuses as to why they lost. What is he going to do with the refs having to call the game fairly?

5. Speaking of comebacks, Tigers back nine on Saturday was amazing to watch. Doing it crippled makes it Leg… wait for it, wait for it….endary.

6. All Rocco had to do to stop a playoff was hit the fairway on 18. It seemed like he was the only one not to birdie the hole that day.

7. If you ever get the chance watch John Ford’s 1939 Stage Coach, it was his first western and was the beginning of a great career of story telling.

8. I showed Glory to my class. It does not matter how many times I watch it, I still get choked up at the end when the 54 marches out to the beach and the white troops cheer them.

9. Congrats to the Celtics. I am tried of Boston winning everything, but it is great to see the Celtics win again. Growing up my dad was a huge Bird, Ainge, McHale fan so I rooted for them. I also think Russell is still the greatest of all times.

10.On SYTYCD they keep criticizing the white kids for not being gangsta enough when dancing hip-hop. What does that say about black culture? Maybe black youth should aspire to be productive members of society and not gangsters. To me it sounds like they are saying you are not black enough, as if tough and black are synonymous. I have not heard the judges criticize any of the black kids for not being white enough when dancing the waltz.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I am so excited that "In The Heights" won because that is where I live. I am also excited because a friend of ours got me great seats to go see it Thursday, I will let you know how it is!!