Monday, June 16, 2008

The Measure of a Man


It is a day late for father’s day, but I did want to say something quickly about my dad. My dad has some real skills when it comes to working with his hands, something that I never learned from him. I am sure it was my own fault, I should have paid more attention. Sometimes it seems I struggle nailing two pieces of wood together. Though I did not learn these skills, what I did learn from my father is much more important. My father taught my brother and me the characteristics needed to be a real man and a good father. He taught us how to work (I know this makes people laugh, but when it comes time to work, I believe I know how and it shows in my career). He taught us that character is important, and that we should be men of honor and integrity. Our word is our word, and when we do a job, we should do it to the best of our ability. As a father, the best lesson I learned is to be there for your kids. The number of games my dad missed over the many years I played sports, I could probably count on one hand. He was always there and always encouraging. I try hard to follow his example. I heard a talk once where the speaker told of a story where a dying man requested just one thing on his tombstone. He asked, only if all his family agreed that it fit him, that the only thing to be written was, here lies a man. I always thought it an interesting story, and it sums up my dad perfectly. When you see my father, you can not help but think, here is a man. My goal in life is to become the kind of man he raised me to be. To be a good husband and father, and a righteous leader who follows the gospel and exercises his priesthood in the service of others. Thanks Dad.
Here is a picture of the Finck men, minus Jackson who was not born yet.

3 comments:

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Well said! You did have a great example of a father. But to give credit where credit is due, you have definitely become quite a great father too.

Tamara said...

Our dad is pretty great, we were lucky. You have become a good man yourself.

rich said...

gWell look who wandered onto your blog! I think that the Fincks are the hardest working people I know. Andrea has always said, "Those Finck kids really know how to work." Yep, good parenting for sure.