Thursday, April 17, 2008

The NBA Playoffs, Their Fantastic, Sort Of


I know my blogs are all over the place, but the NBA Playoffs start on Saturday so now the NBA is relevant. I love college ball but it is hard to get into the NBA as much, but I still enjoy the playoffs. The NBA has turned into who is the most ghetto and when two men bump each other the foul is called on the less popular one, not who actually committed the foul. The other reason why March Madness is better is that now and then you get a Cinderella team, where as the NBA has a 7 game series benefits the best teams (yes now and then you get a Golden State like last year, but not often). I like when the first round was a 5 game series, it helped the little guys a bit more. I would support 5 game series for all rounds, more fun and the playoffs would not finish in June. So when it comes to picking the winners it is easy to go chalk in the NBA, I don’t think Davidson made it to the NBA playoffs.

In the East it is easy to pick. The East is the JV league except at the very top. 1) Boston over 8) Atlanta; 2) Pistons over 7) 76ers; 3)Magic over 6) Raptors. The only series I will pick the higher seed is 5)wizards over 4) Cavs and that is not really an upset. The Cavs are good, but their entire team is James. Stop James and stop the Cavs. Having said that, it is easier to talk about stopping him than to actually do it. Last year’s playoff run for the Cavs is proof of that, but the Wizards are all back and healthy and can make a strong run in the playoffs. But picking the Eastern conference series seems to be the easiest pick in all of sports, Boston V. Detroit. I would not be surprised to see both teams reach the conference finals with only 1 or 2 losses. Now who wins is more difficult. I am partial to the Celtics, growing up my dad loved the Celtics and who could blame him, Bird, Parish, Ainge, McHale, not to mention the best player ever Russell. However I am sick of Boston winning everything, so I hope they do not win the NBA also.

The West is an entirely different animal. I do not believe there will be any upsets, because all eight teams are equally matched and no matter who wins outside of maybe the Nuggets beating the Lakers, I will not call it an upset. Of the top 7 teams, any of them could win and so picks are simply guesses. Also for full disclosure, I would love to see the Jazz win it all, but do not think it will happen, but if you saw my March Madness brackets I had Duke in the final four, so I let my emotions in sometimes when picking. I think the Lakers will beat the Nuggets, easiest pick. As good as the Hornets have been, I will still pick the Mavs. Jason Kidd’s presence alone can get a team to the second round. I live in south Texas so I have to pick the Spurs over the Suns. The Suns are the more exciting team, but fundamentals and defense wins championships and the Spurs have shown they have what it takes to win. I will also pick the Jazz over the Rockets, not only do I think the Jazz can win and want them too, they have home advantage and they have only lost 4 at home, but the Rockets can never seem to get out of the first round. I believe most of these series, outside of Lakers/Nuggets have the potential of 7 games, they are evenly match and should be fun to watch.

I believe the West is by far the best conference, However the entire East is not playing the entire West, only one team from each conference will play and the two best teams in the East are as good as the best in the West. After the Western teams beat each other up for three rounds and the Celts and Pistons cruse through, I will not be surprised to see the NBA camps coming from the East.

1 comment:

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Of course, we're partial to the Jazz (good or bad). Did you happen to get my email? Salaries start at $35,000 and then go up. Not great, like I thought, but ok for a high school I guess.