Monday, April 7, 2008

We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet


I was very moved this past weekend with conference and wanted to make a few comments. Those who watched saw something truly amazing, and I hope felt something amazing as well. I am speaking for me and what I have been seeing here in south Texas. I am not sure if it is the same else where, but I am guessing it is. I have only been old enough to remember the passing of three prophets, President Benson, President Hunter, and President Hinckley. From what I remember the passing of President Hinckley was different than the other two (I am older now and much more aware than I was with the other two), there was grieving for all three, but not the amount of outward expression (I cannot think of a better way to say what I am thinking) that there has been towards President Hinckley. It has almost seemed like he was so loved, that we will never be able to love another prophet as much. When I suggested a little while ago that we replace the picture of the first presidency I was told that we would never take that picture down, in time we might add the new first presidency, but the old one would never come down.

I believe all that will change after this weekend. I would like to add to the comments of those who bore testimony, especially Elders Uchtdorf and Holland (not that I can add to an apostle). Elder Holland was the first to speak after President Monson’s Sunday morning address. He saw what I saw, and what hopefully everyone who watched saw, the mantel of the prophet fall on President Monson. When he spoke, you knew he was a prophet of God. Elder Uchtdorf said he was our prophet for our time. He can not replace President Hinckley, and he does not want to, He will be the first President Monson, our leader who will take us to a new high. I like the comparison made to our children, as much as we love our kids there is enough room in our hearts to love another, the same goes for our Prophet. We can love President Monson and not take anything away from our love of President Hinckley. I look forward to the years to come of hearing and learning from President Monson. In a way it reminded me, to a much lesser degree, to Brigham Young when addressing a crowd after the death of Joseph Smith. President Young took on the description and voice of the Prophet Joseph. The saints needed to see and hear Joseph to understand that President Young was their prophet. On Saturday night and Sunday, no one saw President Hinckley in President Monson, but what we saw was a prophet speaking as a prophet, and now the new change is complete.

As for the talks, I enjoyed them all, they gave me much to ponder, especially when it comes to faith. However I just want to mention two things said. President Monson during Priesthood secession said that sin often hides behind a Halloween mask of tolerance. I believe tolerance is one of the greatest tricks the adversary has used. Tolerance, how can tolerance be wrong. The world teaches tolerance is important, but what they are saying is that we should be accepting of all ways of life, in other words calling good evil. We should never accept sin or anything that goes against the teaching of Christ. Lifestyles that the world teach as acceptable, does not make them acceptable. We should not persecute those who choose to live against Gods commandments, but we should never accept their decisions either.

My other favorite talk was by Elder Bednar. He talked about asking with real faith. This has been my goal this year. Some of you know I have been on the job hunt, and I felt Elder Bednar was speaking to me and my situation. I do have faith, but I know it can get better. He said sometimes we need to wait until the 4th watch, I am hoping that is true. I have thought I should give up for this year and just wait until the new batch opens up in the fall, but the BYU-I job has not said no yet, so maybe there is still a chance.

One other note from the weekend was a program on the BYU channel between secessions on Saturday. I believe it was Elder Ballard speaking. He was encouraging everyone to be part of the new media, and specifically mentioned blogging. His argument was, there is a war being waged on the web about Mormonism, and it will go on whether we are part of it or not, so to get our message across, we need to be part of it. I began blogging because it was fun, now it is something an apostle wants us to do. So keep up your blogging everyone, and don’t forget to include amongst family happenings, your testimonies, you never know who might read it.

I hope everyone had as good a weekend as I did. I used to dread conference weekend, now I truly love it, there is nothing that jumpstarts my spirituality the way conference does, and this weekend I was especially happy to stand and sustain our new prophet.

3 comments:

GINA said...

I too saw a difference in Pres. Monson. He had taken over the role as Prophet very well. He was one of my favorite apostles so I'm excited for him to be Prophet and I look forward to the furture with him as Prophet. I thought this was a very good conference weekend.

Elder & Sister Ellis said...

Per President Monson's true style, I loved his comments following Elder Ballard's talk about the note from his wife....don't let daddy touch the stove, or the microwave, or the dryer etc. Doug loved his story in priesthood where he wiggled his ears. President Hinckley will truly be missed as he was so dear to my heart, but the church is true and the gospel will press forward with a new prophet at its helm. We thank thee of God for a Prophet.

Tamara said...

It is funny because you never knew who is going to read your blog. I have a girl that stumbled on my blog and said that I inspired her (she is not a member but enjoyes what we have to say and has learned that we are LDS) now I am on her favorites and we talk.